the turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.

Berkeley Half

all in all, quite a pleasant run!

5.4 Mi:   42:16 Pace: 7:50
9.1 Mi: 1:11:50 Pace: 7:54
10.4 Mi: 1:22:14 Pace: 7:55
11.2 Mi: 1:28:33 Pace: 7:55
13.1 Mi: 1:45:03 Pace: 8:01

This is the most not-out-of-shape I have been for a half marathon thus far. This is my 3rd (SF half in '07, where I ran 4 miles a couple of times and became painfully injured; Valley Crest trail half during college during which I was miserable and walked quite a bit.) Since spraining my toe on my suitcase 2 weekends ago (11/10 ish), I've been using that as an excuse to not exercise. So.. I didn't.

Today is Wednesday, and my quads are still a little sore.

Slept ~6 hours, got up and felt excited. Had my PRP, a cha siu bao, a banana. Then I met Steph and Clara outside. We made the porto potty rounds (goodness that smelled bad...!!), checked our bags to the school buses, and then headed towards the start. Started a couple minutes late, but soon enough, music was playing and it was time to go. Crowded beginning as always, but that was okay. I settled into my stride and felt like I was going a bit too fast. 7:50 pace hah. I was planning on going 9 minute miles, and maybe going under 2 hours. Seemed do-able. Cold ears give me a headache, so I wore my fleece headband.

And there I was, bounding among runners and joggers. It is a glorious and empowering feeling, inspiring, and makes me giddy. Down center, around the corner to university, tracing my route to the thanksgiving picnic yesterday. Through the fog, down the slight slope, down, down, legs carrying me to the marina. The sun was burning through the fog, so it was becoming warmer, and eventually I decided to take off my headband. I didn't stop at the first water station, but did at every subsequent run. The downhill was giving me a bit of a stitch, so I worked on breathing. It was comfortable. At mile 7 I was starting to become a bit tired, so I think I noticeably slowed down, telling myself I was more than half way! And on it went. I noticed the top of my left foot feeling weird, as if there were something in my shoe. Ah well. And my pinky toes were beginning to blister. Onward, onward. It was a constant push, and I was counting the miles to go. My classmate Jack said hi to me on the course at one of the turn backs! And I cheered Steph and Clara as I saw them in the other direction. Grabbed more electrolytes at the stations, and kept on. Mile 8, mile 9. Cello quartet playing rocky and the final countdown. Awesome. More electrolytes. Mile 11. 2 more to go! Mile 12. This is it... is that a hill? What the... sheeeeit. Up up, just keep moving, down the hill and then to the finish line. It's in sight! The clock reads 1:46 something as I cross the finish line. Whoa. That was a lot faster than I had expected to finish. Awesome. Waddle waddle, found Steph and the group. Time for chocolate coconut milk, bagels, banana, and free stuff! Awesome. All in all, a pretty good run. Happy. and tired. But satisfied.

So now I feel motivated to actually train for something. Heh. We shall see.

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Train for something!

Post a Comment