Time to get back into this.
Friday, 23 September, 2011.
89-miles to Davis. This was a bit of a stupid thing to do, because I hadn't ridden since my little incident a few months ago. This week has been wonky as far as sleeping goes. I blame jet lag. Flew back Tuesday, up almost 30 hours with naps. Slept 5 hours that night because I couldn't fall asleep after about 3am. Had a day out, slept for 15 hours that night, got up at 1:30 in the PM. Then went to sleep at 6am, woke up at 2pm. Then cooked dinner, went to the bike shop then headed out to Davis.
It was hot (~90), so I drank a bottle of water and refilled when I got to Heather farms. Made my way down the trail as a comfortable pace. 15 miles in, my legs were getting tired... shit guys! Got lost a number of times, because google directions are dumb. Can't wait to get the smart phone for things like this. But, all in all it worked out. Had to call Jon to get onto the linear park. Then called dad later. Biking through pitch-black fields late at night is exhilarating. I would get very tired at points, and then eat some energy bar and drink some water, and then feel much better. Before sunset, I stopped at a gas station and got a headlamp - it was just kind of sitting there staring at me. Funny how things work out. Also picked up 2 cliff bars. SO glad I stopped and got that headlamp. Later, I stopped at another gas station and chatted with the guy for a while - he watched my bike while I went to the bathroom. I got a sobe (so gross when not thirsty) and he offered me water and things, and was impressed with my trek. Eventually, many turns and quite getting lost later, I was on Russell, then a car drove by and yelled "Justine! yes, that's her!" My first thoughts were "wth.. how does T know where I'm biking from?" turned out to be my brother. I kind of have a very awesome brother. Thank god for wonderful siblings. He was worried about me as was dad. My phone had been off to preserve battery. Ah. I feel a bit bad about that, but I was glad to see him. Davis is very bike-friendly! There are bike paths everywhere, so I just followed the path into the city, got off the main road. And finally I rested my ass.
And that was just the beginning of the night. After washing my face, I attended a frat party. And then another party. WHEW. This one's for the books - definitely among the single craziest day/night of my life. Oh, the things we do. In retrospect (as I was aware at the time), I was only able to do something like this because I wasn't REALLY aware of how stupid it was. I don't plan on having an experience like this day for a whiles to come. A few days later, my ass is still recovering :). Hurts so good.
In general, I feel incredibly happy right now. I'm a little scared about my move, because I'll be sad to move away. I'm lucky to have close friends that I love and love me. It feels good to work on those friendships which are meaningful. And it's fun to enjoy those short-term friendships. I feel like I've become better at selecting people to enhance my experience of life. smiles and hearts. can never have too much of those in life.
0 comments:
Post a Comment