the turning point in the process of growing up is when you discover the core of strength within you that survives all hurt.

I don't really know the meaning, cause, and attributes of fall

Monday, September 7, 2009
AM: 60 minutes (well, 59:28) easy in the Arroyo with Masha. Heated the shins before, and they felt fine :).

PM: 15 minutes around the track, barefoot on the grass. Then we did Ian's drills:
1. high knees, transitioning into a short strider
2. butt kicks, with a strider
3. A skips
4. B skips
5. karaokes (both low and high, where you cross one leg high)
6. German drills:
a) 2 steps followed by a high knee, repeat. So basically high knee on every 3rd step
b) butt kick on every third step
c) crazy one: alternating high knee and butt kick - step step high knee, step step step step butt kick. or something like that.
I might be missing some drills? But I can't remember... but it was exciting! quite a few showed up - all the frosh guys, Andrew, Ryan, Chief, Garrett (8 mins late =D), and then Clara came a bit later.


Tuesday, September 8, 2009

AM: Intervals around the 800m loop at Lacy Park: 800-1600-1600-800
My respective times/splits were 3:06, 3:11/6:35, 3:20/6:44, 3:08.
I didn't heat the shins, so on the warm up they kind of hurt, but I didn't feel them at all during the workout :). Legs felt pretty tired, and it was really hard especially on the back stretch of the interval, when we hit the grass before the picnic benches, to the slight uphill around the tree. I remember when we did these last year, I was more energetic and did them fast, but also had a kick at the end. But today, it was just hanging on, trying to not let Susan get too far ahead of me. I guess I was running with Sam and Stephanie last year, but this year I was pretty much running alone. Masha was not too far behind, and Susan was a bit too far forward, so I think Masha should run with.

PM: around the north field barefoot for about 20 minutes, really slowly. Best is back for good! Then dynamic stretches (hamstring walking, leg swings), and medicine ball exercises, followed by some light abs.

Wednesday, Sepetember 9, 2009

AM: 45 minutes, modified Hillcrest loop, easy. Legs are tired, so an easy run was very welcome. So walking around, the top of my foot has been hurting, and not really getting better since Saturday. I've been icing in the whirlpool. Erin said probably minor tendonitis. Ice after, heat before, and ultrasound.

PM: 25 minutes easy, in the neighborhood (I don't remember the exact route), followed by drills. Legs felt really heavy and not good. Also, I could feel my toe in my shoe - I ripped a little bit of toenail off my pinky toe, and I guess it got swollen. My right butt was feeling sore, so I just kind of ignored it, since things get sore. But then during drills it started getting numb, which wasn't good. I stopped drills and stretched, and then later Erin told me it was probably a tight periformis, which was clamping on my sciatic nerve. Perhaps related is the outside of my right calf/ankle area. It's just tender and sore. Yeah, so I iced those areas, and see how it feels tomorrow. Erin was like "If it hurts even a bit, I might suggest an alternative workout, because otherwise if it gets tight, then you won't be able to run." Sounds scary... but it didn't feel that bad, just a bit aching/ annoying.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

AM: San Marino Hills workout.
Mm, hills. I really need to work on hills - I can do (and like doing) short hills, but if it's longer than about 30 meters, then I get really tired. Best was awesome, and I was trying to run with her for the first 2, then she got a cramp.
1: Euston -> Stratford, stopping at Oxford
2. Up Oxford
3. Patton
4. Shenandoah
5. Virginia
6. Oak Knoll
(7 - not a hill. Tempo run on Hillcrest, from one end on Oak Knoll to the other)
I heated the ankle before hand, and iced the butt too (felt it ever so slightly a few times this morning, but it was so much better than yesterday). Felt it a bit on the warmup, but not too bad. On some of the hills, I think after Oxford, it hurt a bit, but then went away when we started the next interval. Then it was mostly fine. I'm sure it will be fine - I just iced afterward.

PM: No running, just some breathing exercises in the pool, and drills in the pool. Then we did some stretches on the track field, and medicine balls. I can use the 4kg ball, now! :)

Friday, September 11, 2009

AM: Prerace, the Hillcrest loop. This run felt pretty good, aside from sore calves and tired legs still; I woke up naturally after 6 hours of sleep, and didn't fall asleep again, so I just lay in bed for a while :(.

PM: no running, just had a team meeting about the course and goals, and other orders of business. Tomorrow is our first race, at Redlands! 4.5K for girls, and 6K for guys.

goals:
1. Run a consistent race (don't sag too much in the middle mile)
2. Start thinking about the end race before I can physically see the end - I tend to wait until I can see, and know that I can finish hard before I start 'kicking'.
(and I can't remember the third one I wrote down. I want to bring Masha with me, as far as possible, but that's not what I wrote).

I'm worried about lab stuff. So I was there for most of today, minus lunch and practice. Still need to go back tonight in a few hours, to streak some plates. My sleeping needs have been kind of wacko. I honestly don't think I've slept fewer than 7 hours any night (except the night my mom got here), yet I am so sleepy all the time - yesterday, I just didn't go to lab because I was feeling terrible. I think I'm eating fine. Ugh, what's wrong.?

Saturday, September 12, 2009


This was the first race of the season. Outcome: 20:02? I don't feel like I had a bad race, but the time was just slow, and I ran slowly. The start was pretty funky - they had us standing around in the sun for about 10 minutes while we waited. And then it was boom go. I think my first mile was 6:50, but I have no idea where the mile marker was. The course was extremely flat, so I should have been good on this course, but I don't know. I think my legs are tired. Oof.

0 comments:

Post a Comment