AM: 4? miles, elliptical. Awful, awful air. I emerged from my room and was met by the unpleasant smell of smoke in the air. Apparently the mountains are burning down. So we practiced inside: leaping and jogging in the multipurpose room. Then ellipticalled (the thing said 4 miles, but I don't believe it) for half an hour.
PM: All athletic activities were canceled for the rest of the day, because the air was so bad, so no PM practice.
Tuesday, September 1, 2008
AM: 9.2 miles, Manhattan beach (65 minutes? I didn't have a watch)
Drove to Manhattan beach, and ran along the bark trail (I really liked this last time, and was hoping I'd get to come back) and the Strand? (beach boardwalk). We started out kind of fast, even though it was supposed to be an easy run. But I felt pretty good, so I was running with Masha and Susan. I can't wait until Clara gets back into it and runs with us. She kind of dropped off (too) soon, so Stephanie ran with her. When we reached the boardwalk (concrete) it was pretty fast, and then at some point, we saw Garrett asking for directions from some guy. Susan was like 'omg...' and then I went ahead and ran with Garrett, because I was feeling pretty good. Towards the end, though, I was getting pretty tired, and the pace dropped off a lot. Rosecrans took forever to appear, and I really wanted to stop! But it was a great run.
PM: no practice
Wednesday, September 2, 2008
AM: 43 minutes (~5 miles), Griffith Park.
Drove to Griffith Park, and we did an out and back. We ran out for 25 minutes, trying to run as a pack. It was supposed to be easy, but I feel like our easy runs are not actually that easy when Susan is there. We were trying to make Clara run with us. On the way back, we took turns leading (me, Masha, Clara, Stephanie, and then Susan) for 4 minute intervals each. Clara was great on her interval, and then dropped off again =[. At the end of Susan's interval, we did a bit of a kick, and Stephanie out-kicked me at the end. Ah! But it felt good to be moving. Felt the shins a bit, but other than that, the run felt excellent.
PM: Weights and abs. We learned how to do some medicine ball exercises, and softball massages.
Thursday, September 3, 2008
AM: To lacy and back, ~3 miles.
Boy, it felt good to do an easy run! Pack running with everyone, so it was a very relaxed pace.
PM: 50 minutes with Masha and Mia in the San Bernadino National Forest. We drove up here to go camping at Heart Bar campground, kind of by Big Bear. There was also a fire here, but pretty far from us. The air was wonderful, compared to Pasadena, and I didn't feel the altitude too much on the run. There was a steady hill up a fire trail, after about 12 minutes. Addy was running with us for the first part, but then she had to stop and stretch out her calves. Ah, it was so pretty! Especially on the way down. Mia ran with us the whole way, awesome. Feeling the shins, and would have been thankful for an ice bath. I was eyeing the bathroom as we ran a loop around the campground when we got back.
Friday, September 4, 2008
AM: 50 minutes (15 minute warm-up, 10 minute surge, 5 minute jog, 10 minute surge, then run back), the same route as yesterday's afternoon run. Ran in a group with Masha and Stephanie and Mia. I was really not feeling it on the surge, and I dropped off pretty quickly from Stephanie and Masha, so I ran with Mia and encouraged her. I don't know, my legs just felt dead, and I was breathing really hard. Grr. So we regrouped on the 5 minutes easy, and asked if we could take turns leading. So we did that 2.5 minutes each - Masha, Mia (she went back after that, since she was doing 45 minutes), and then me and then Stephanie. I dropped off after Stephanie took over, but they were in sight. Ugh, hills. The way back was good. Tired, but good.
Aside: I think the camping trip ended up working out, and I'm glad that Ian was able to accompany us, and that we were able to go.

Saturday, September 5, 2008
6.5 miles, Huntington coming back on Oak Knoll.
I haven't done this run in a while... I used to do it at night, good times. Ran with Masha, Stephanie, Phyllis, and Perrin (who went up Virginia). Not the greatest run. Actually, it was rather miserable for the most part. Shins hurt the whole way, and my right foot (probably correlated). Didn't sleep very much quality sleep, because my mom arrived around 2am, and she was staying with me, so I woke up then, to let her in. Was supposed to be an easy run, but it didn't feel super easy. Stephanie brought her huge earbud speakers, which must have been quite a sight. I'm going to start heating in the morning and do theraband exercises for the shins.
Total mileage for this week: ~38 miles
(actually, I am kind of obsessed with Plushgun's "Impolite")
0 comments:
Post a Comment